"My greatest sin is not what I've done, but rather what I've failed to do"

Friday, July 6, 2007

Why I don’t like Harry Potter

Admittedly, I have never read any of the Harry Potter books, nor have I watched any of the movies. I do read many blogs of people I have never met, so while scanning their profiles I have often found Harry to be one of their favorites. This has been a touchy subject with some of our friends, so I will explain my thinking and let you decide for yourself.

The supernatural is NOT amoral. It is not out there to be used for either good or evil. A brick IS amoral. It can be used to build a house (good) or it can be used to crush someones skull (evil). God’s power can be used in prophecy, healing, forgiveness and salvation. This is all supernatural, it is all good and it all comes from God. Sorcery, fortunetellers, and witches also have powers that are supernatural. These do not come from God but come from Satan. If you rely on any “power” other than God, you will never please God with the outcome, no matter how you perceive it to be good.

I believe that angles are among us, and I believe that God still works through visions and words of knowledge among many miraculous ways. But, lets not loose focus. Personally, red flags start flying whenever I hear talk of pursuing the supernatural by Christians. We should pursue God, love our neighbors, seek His kingdom and seek His will for our lives.

This is not limited to just Harry. Whats so raven, Sabrina the teenage witch and Charmed are just a few of the many that are shown on TV everyday. I watched Bewitched as a child, and I don’t think that I have suffered any permanent damage, but lets not support or glorify those things that clearly are opposed to Gods teaching.

For the intellectuals out there here is a good site.

3 comments:

alienmom said...

all I can say is thank you and amen!

Deano said...

We seem to have a hypocritical stance towards Harry Potter. We condem this series based on Black and White Magic, Occult influences and Satanic enuendo but we load our children and youth groups onto our church buses and take them to Chronicles of Narnia, applauding the assumed references to Christianity, ignoring the withcraft, magic and mythology present. Just seems easier to follow the "herd" and judge based on the cover and topic, not the characters and words.

Scott said...

Deano,
So are you pro-Harry or anti-Narnia?