"My greatest sin is not what I've done, but rather what I've failed to do"

Sunday, September 2, 2007

Where's the keys dad?

My life has been filling with more and more little reminders of just how old I am, and yesterday was no exception. I drove my car to the middle school parking lot, turned off the engine, got out and switched places with my daughter. No she’s not sixteen yet, but drivers’ training is just over the horizon and I…we…she thought it was time to get a jump-start. We have a great relationship and rarely butt heads, but I have feared this day for a long time. I will admit I am not a very good passenger. I don’t like sitting in the passenger seat because I often fight the urge to share my insights on how it should be done (just ask my wife). But in this case it is my job to criticize, critique and train, so off come the gloves. We were both prepared for some tense moments and I’m sure there will be plenty, but not yesterday. We had fun.

She did great.

I am very proud of her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Scott, I had a discussion along these very lines with Chantel a couple weeks ago. She reminded me that her 14th birthday was two weeks away. (Today is her birthday.) Anyway she asked if I didn't think it was time for her to learn how to drive. after all, in a year she would be 15 and get her permit. I told her that the reason she would get her permit was so that she could learn to drive before she got her license at 16! She wasn't convinced of that! I'm afraid that the same parking lot experience is just ahead for Scott and Chantel!Love,Dee (Sister-in-law)