"My greatest sin is not what I've done, but rather what I've failed to do"

Friday, March 5, 2010

I'm a Vegan...jk

I skipped church on a Wednesday night to go hear a mini seminar on “living foods”. I had heard an interview that morning on the radio and this lady claimed that of all the cancer patients that had went through her program and there were thousands, none had died from cancer. Not one. Incredible or too good to be true, I was willing to give up a night to find out.

At the end of the night there wasn’t really anything I could disagree with as far as the information or concept. I can concede that most of the junk we feed ourselves with is lacking nutritional value and filled with counterproductive ingredients. I know that eating healthier would no doubt improve my quality of life. Having said this I was not ready to say yes to this new and improved way of life.

Here are a few of my objections.

1.It sounds too good to be true

2.None of my friends are eating healthy and they seem all right, if it were really good everyone else would be doing it.

3.I don’t fit in with the “healthy” lifestyle. Would I have to start hugging trees or plaster my bumper with anti-war and animal rights propaganda?

4.This was just an infomercial trying to get me to cough up some of my money.

5.I not ready to give up a good steak for spinach and or tofu.

6.If I really got sick, I would change then.

Aren’t these the same excuses that non-believers offer to the church? We can talk a good talk, but at the end of the day are we really all that different from them? Knowing logically that eating better is a good thing, I can’t say I am ready to change my way of eating. There are only two things that I can think of that might persuade me to convert. The first is that I am diagnosed with cancer; after all desperate times call for disparate measures. The second is if a friend had been cured and was now living without disease, without aces and pains, and full of energy. I could be drawn to change myself and if my friend shared that giving up actually meant getting so much more in return I think I would want to change.

“There is no greater sermon than the evidence of a changed life.”

No comments: