"My greatest sin is not what I've done, but rather what I've failed to do"

Saturday, May 5, 2007

Big fish in a small pond

Softball season is almost upon us. This is a story from my childhood, please don't make fun of me, I'm still recovering.

I was in the sixth grade and had played little league for several years. Tryouts hadn’t gone well for me. Although team placement wasn’t based on age or grade, most sixth graders moved from the minor leagues to the major leagues. I did not. After being totally embarrassed, I soon realized that I was one of the biggest kids on the team. I played first base, and our team took first place that year. I loved baseball and was real good at it. After all I was a significant part of a winning team. The following year I was ready to show my stuff. Because of new structuring, kids were placed in leagues according to their age and teams according to their ability. Which meant I skipped majors and went directly from the minors to senior league in one year. My new coach took no time in teaching me the finer points of the game. Squat low so that your strike zone is small and never swing. My field play consisted of two innings in right field (every player was required to play at least two innings according to league rules). My love for baseball was sucked out of me for two seasons before I quit. The sad part is, a pop fly isn't any different in the minor or senior league. Yet I couldn’t catch a ball that year to save my life. Knowing that someone does, or doesn't believe in you, can literally change a person’s perspective forever.

3 comments:

Joel Potter said...

Hey Scott, this is Joel Potter!!! Man this is an awesome story and can be an awesome ministry analogy!!! The first thing I see is that in ministry people need to be put in the game and should not be forced to sit the bench all the time. I think the league rule of playing two innings fits in the traditional church model. Send them out and let them try it, but not too long because they may make a mistake. In discipleship we must pour into our disciples and send them out to do the same. Many times they will mess up, but guess what, you catch a ground ball in the face once next time your going to adjust yourself to do it right next time. Teach them to learn from their mistakes, God is bigger than mistakes. But, if you're not given the chance to go at it again you'll be scared to death of ground balls forever!!! I can't state as a fact that God will ask you to do things out fo your comfort zone, you might even look crazy, but with the discernment of the spirit of God, He will prevail through your actions. I could go on, but I'll save you the time!! Many blessings on you and Cal. Road!!!! As God calls you to discipleship remember that you cannot pour new wine into old wineskins!!!!

Scott said...

Great to hear from you Joel! You made it into Pastor Bud's sermon this morning. He is proud of you!

Joel Potter said...

Well that is definitely a compliment!!! Thanks for the encouragement!!! Keep up ministering for Jesus!!! I'll continue to check your blog and try and give you some good stuff to chew on!!!! Blessings on you!!!