"My greatest sin is not what I've done, but rather what I've failed to do"

Thursday, April 19, 2007

If you build it, they will come

If you build it, they will come. This has become the church growth strategy of this decade. Regardless of how the church is doing spiritually, if the pews are 80% full, it’s time to add on. A new family life center is just the ticket. The youth need more room and a gym would be great for basketball outreach on Thursday nights. It all sounds so good. Buildings don’t evangelize, people do. I’ve gone to church all my life and can’t remember ever being held accountable for my spiritual disciplines. Reaching the lost, praying, fasting, worship, time in the Word and more. "Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much. Luke 16:10. Are our growing churches more faithful, or do we just have more butts in the pews. Our definition of discipleship seems to be nothing more than attendance. If you can get them there every Sunday and sometimes on Wednesday’s then you must have a committed believer. Right? If we take an honest look at church growth, I would tend to think that it is mostly just shifting of the flock. Church splits, or a new pastor results in an exodus to the church down the street. Now the church down the street can start their building project. It’s not about the size of your building its about needing more Jesus loving, people serving, Bible reading, Gospel sharing, fired up followers of Christ. We can do better. I am as guilty as the rest. I want to challenge each of us to spend some quality time on our knees asking God what we (I) should do to advance Gods kingdom here on earth.

No comments: