"My greatest sin is not what I've done, but rather what I've failed to do"

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Still saved?

I’ve heard the debate over once saved always saved, since I was in high school (a long time ago). I have never felt this theory could hold water. One argument for this has been the passage John 10:27-28 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. Ok, but can the sheep leave on their own?

Let me tell you where I am coming from and let you decide for yourself. Eli and his sons were priests during Samuel’s childhood. His sons were wicked, with no reverence for God. 1 Samuel 2:30 "Therefore the LORD, the God of Israel, declares: 'I promised that your house and your father's house would minister before me forever.' But now the LORD declares: 'Far be it from me! Those who honor me I will honor, but those who despise me will be disdained. Did God plan this from the beginning or did Eli and his sons walk way from God to suffer the consciences of their own choices? I say the latter.

What about when God chose the king of Israel. Saul was hand picked, and then later God removed his blessing and replaced him with king David.

Does this confirm the principle of; once you’re in, you can’t get out, even if you willingly choose to? I understand that Gods grace covers us even when we stray. I’m not suggesting that one day your saved and the next day your not, until next week when your saved again. That’s silly. In a marriage you make a commitment. That marriage might be rocky, but you are still married. You will have ups and downs. There maybe unfaithfulness, but your still married. However, you can choose not to be married, even without a legal divorce, the marriage can be dead and lifeless. At what point does it actually cross over, I can’t say. God knows when our hearts have left Him. The thought that God will forgive my unbelief and rebellion even when I don’t seek forgiveness is a deception of false security. Paul writes in Phil 2:12b continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling. God is always ready to welcome back his wayward children. God deserve more than a bunch of fence walking Christians planning on His grace to cover their lack of commitment. Live full abundant lives, pressing onward toward the goal, loving God and loving people.

No comments: